On Friday, human rights lawyer Mr. Femi Falana (SAN) asked the Federation’s Attorney General and Justice Minister, Mr. Abubakar Malami (SAN), to withdraw pending criminal charges against his clients, Mr. Omoyele Sowore and Olawale Bakare.
In a statement, Falana said there was no evidence to convict conveners of the’ RevolutonNow’ protests.
He replied to an announcement by the AGF office on Friday that a letter was sent to the State Services Department to hand over Sowore’s case and to send the case files to his office.
The DSS officers invaded the Abuja Federal High Court on December 6 to re-arrest Sowore.
The rearrest, which culminated in the interruption of court proceedings presided over by Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu, came less than 24 hours after the release of Sowore and Bakare from custody where they had been held for more than four months.
Falana said the DSS court interference led the AGF to take over his clients ‘ prosecution.
Nevertheless, he noted that the DSS was still bent on looking for facts to file fresh charges against its clients following the AGF’s order for the DSS to hand over the case.
He said, “The SSS is currently looking for facts to nail Sowore, persuaded that the pending case will crumble like a pack of cards.
“In spite of the directive of the AGF to hands over the case, the SSS subjected Sowore to a four-hour interrogation yesterday (December 12, 2019).
“The entire interrogation pertained to Sowore’s alleged links with the proscribed Boko Haram sect, IPOB, and IMN which he vehemently denied.
“At Sowore’s instance a member of the legal defence team, Mr. Abubakar Marshal, witnessed the marathon interrogation. The plan is to charge Sowore with terrorism as a follow-up to the unsubstantiated allegations of a presidential media aide.
“In the light of the foregoing, we urge the AGF to file a nolle prosequi motion to end the macabre dance which has exposed the country to avoidable embarrassment.”
He insisted that the action the AGF had so far taken on the prosecution of Sowore and his co-defendant was not a takeover “because it was the AGF that filed the case of September 20, 2019, and farmed it out to Dr. Hassan Liman, SAN”.
He continued, “But despite the SSS armed operatives ‘ aggressive invasion of the court the AGF agreed to sack the external prosecution team and have the case prosecuted by the Public Prosecution”